- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 and 2/3 cups pecan halves
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, or rub through fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal. In small bowl, whisk egg yolk with 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice water and stir into flour mixture until dough just comes together. Stir in another 1 tbsp (15 mL) water if needed.
- Form dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hr. before rolling. Roll out dough to fit into 9-in. (23-cm) pie plate. Trim off excess pastry. Press tines of fork along pastry edge for decorative effect. Chill pie shell 15 min.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Spread pecans on baking sheet and bake in oven 5 to 7 min., or until lightly toasted. Cool nuts completely. Next, increase oven temperature to 375ºF (190ºC). Set rack to lowest position.
- To make filling, whisk together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla and salt. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie shell and place on baking sheet. Bake pie (on baking sheet) 40 to 45 min., or until filling is set around edges but centre jiggles slightly. Transfer pie to wire rack to cool completely.