- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, with electric hand mixer beat the butter with both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts (if using).
- Place heaped tablespoons of batter 2 in. (5 cm) apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake batches 12 min., or until tops are set and bottoms are golden brown, rotating half-way through baking for even cooking.
- Cool on baking sheet 2 min. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.
Tip: Substitute pecans for walnuts.